“Genius is the ability to reduce the complicated to the simple.” ― C. W. Ceran
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ― Clare Boothe Luce
Notice a theme here?
There’s no arguing that data storage is hard. The complexity involved in designing an efficient system with reliability to achieve the right performance levels, speed, scalability, data protection and availability all at the right budget can be daunting. Now add in the “cobbled assembly” approach of creating your own DIY system with each component manufactured for its independent performance rather than that of the complete system and confusion and disorder can quickly result — especially when it comes to troubleshooting and support.
Seagate recognized the complexity of traditional storage systems and decided to do something about it. Our goal is what we call Seagate Simple. Intelligently designed, innovative, efficient and high performance — it does not mean “basic” or “simplistic.” In fact, it’s anything but.
We took that idea to heart, and pairing the right mix of capabilities at Seagate with the immense talent and deep knowledge and history of the teams who had joined us with our Xyratex and Dot Hill acquisitions, continued to invest in the rich technology portfolios and industry trust these teams had developed to create the backbone of our Seagate enterprise storage systems. You could say storage is in our DNA!
From there the Simplicity path became clear, consisting of:
- Optimization and Efficiency – Because we make the drives, the enclosure, and our solutions are designed to seamlessly work together, we’ve increased disk efficiency to nearly 85 percent and improved overall performance 10x.
- Testing and Configuration – All systems go through extensive testing to prevent early life failures, providing customers with better quality and higher satisfaction. With the case of our HPC ClusterStor systems, each is shipped fully tested and configured. Customers are up and running in hours — not days, weeks or months. This results in faster time to results. Not wasting precious money sitting on the floor.
- Innovation and Insight – In addition to world-class storage systems, we’ve developed an innovative management software that monitors the health of the disks and system providing valuable information to expedite troubleshooting, aid repair and provide valuable root cause analysis for future upgrades.
- Data Movement – Simplicity means accessing and using your data when and how you need it. Our data movement protocols allow data to move across storage tiers transparently. In HPC environments, it’s all done seamlessly moving from parallel file system to object storage layer.
- Data Availability – In any system, disks make up the majority of the bill of materials. The disks in our systems have a significantly lower than normal annual failure rate (AFR) due to our integration and extensive testing, and our continuous improvement design agenda aimed at keeping more terabytes always online.
Whether you’re an HPC pioneer, systems integrator, data service/storage provider, emerging innovator or tried and true organization balancing random I/Os and access, your mission is to get the most out of your data. Our mission is to solve your most complex data storage challenges, keeping it Seagate Simple.
While the concept is simple, the specifics aren’t. Our upcoming “Seagate Difference” blog series will provide insights into why Seagate continues to lead the way in HPC storage.